Sunday, July 18, 2010

Burberry Beauty Lip Cover Soft Satin Lipstick

I hate approach-avoidance conflicts, and they occur with makeup all the time. I'm having one with my new Burberry Beauty Lip Cover Soft Satin Lipstick ($30) in Dusty Rose. The color is drop-dead stunning. I love it. Unfortunately, the lipstick is highly fragranced. I hate highly fragranced lip products.

I had ordered Dusty Rose after browsing the little swatches at Nordstrom's Web site. Although I had only ordered one shade, I had every intention of ordering more...Rosewood, Tea Rose...so many tempted me.

My arm photo at right shows how pretty this shade is. As soon as it arrived, I put it on and admired my lips! Almost immediately, I realized that Burberry chose to add a fragrance to the lipstick - a lot of fragrance. I won't be ordering Rosewood, Tea Rose, or any other shade. It's just too perfumey for me. What a shame!

There's another weird thing about the lipstick: its case. The slightly magnetic square case goes on only one way, so I have fiddled with it each time I've used it to get the top back on. Too hard.

I adore the Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow ($29). There are so many great shades I want. I think the line has much to love. I wish I could love the lipstick. What about you? Are you OK with fragrance in your lip products?

Photo at top left courtesy of Burberry Beauty

6 comments:

MarciaF said...

You've confirmed my fears. No Burberry lipstick for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Marcia, they are really strong. I would compare the fragrance to L'Oreal's drugstore lipsticks. I am so bummed.

Clarisse said...

Thank you for the review! I agree with you, Charlestongirl: fragrances in lipsticks are difficult to cope with (what a funny idea to put perfume in lipstick!) Moreover if the case is not very practical either, I had better forget about the Burberry lipsticks! I'll stick to the eye-shadows which have gorgeous colors and probably no fragrance at all:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, I detected no fragrance in the beautiful eye shadows. Pfew!

DivaDebbi said...

Urggghh! Those colors are gorgeous! Thanks for the heads up!
I don't wear Chanel lipsticks for exactly the same reason. Also found the newly reformulated latest launch from Maybelline tastes heavily fragranced. I simply don't get the concept! We are running from these brands...why add it?

Best,
Debbi

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Debbi!

I bought one of those Maybelline lipsticks too. Very disappointing. I just don't understand why companies feel compelled to add perfume to lipstick!

I don't use Chanel's skin-care products because they are so highly fragranced. The same is basically true for Guerlain.

Maybe if enough of us speak out we can make a difference?