Friday, July 30, 2010

Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia

Yes, it's as exciting as it sounds! I'm wearing Jo Malone's new English Pear & Freesia Cologne, even though it's not due to be introduced until September.

They had a bottle on display at Saks at Chevy Chase, Maryland. After I sprayed it all over my arm, I swooned. I told Loyd Cassler "I have to have it - now. I need this. I love this." It was nowhere to be sold! He assured me he would get his hands on it as fast as possible. The Jo Malone rep was not there to explain to us why the bottle was out for testing, but there was no product to sell. It was such a tease!

Jo Malone's new fragrance is said to marry poetry and perfume because it was inspired by the ode “To Autumn” by John Keats. It's a fruity floral and as pretty as it gets.

Upon first spray, there's a burst of King William Pear in its top notes. White freesia (always one of the most fragrant flowers in a bouquet) is among the scent’s heart notes. Amazingly, its dry-down includes patchouli, white amber, and musk. I don't smell the patchouli, which I normally despise. Strange, huh? I do smell the musk.

I can't wait to get my own bottle!

Update 7/31: Saks says "very soon." I'm now on their waiting list.

Photo courtesy of WWD

6 comments:

Eileen said...

That sounds like a delightful early autumn sent when a large selection of pears is one of the glories of the produce section. I've always loved the scent of our citrus trees in bloom, so Jo Malone's Orange Blossom has become one of my perennial favorites. Every year I buy small bottle to usher in spring. Wouldn't it be nice to have a lovely scent to usher in autumn? Pear and freesia--how delightful!

shannon Wood said...

Pear is a hard scent to achieve without being juvenile .......Leave it to Jo Malone !!!! I don't live in the city so I'll have to call Seviewaks or check online for any more information . Thanks for the great review .......... I needed a new fall fragrance !

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen and Shannon!

I never thought of pears as autumn fruits, but I guess I was WRONG.

However you interpret its season, this new fragrance is utterly fabulous. It's not available at Jo Malone's site yet, so I'm counting on Saks to get me one ASAP. [Not like I need perfume, but I love it!]

Eileen, Orange Blossom is one of my all-time favorites. I wear it a lot, and I bathe in it too. The Bath Oil is divine.

I asked Loyd to grab "whatever Pear comes in" when it arrives in the store."

Bitching Beauty said...

I stumbled onto this post by doing a Google search on Jo Malone English Pear...I was at Nordstrom's the other day, and the Jo Malone rep told me a great new scent was being added to the collection. I am rather devoted to the Amber and Lavender scent, but I decided to try English Pear and Freesia for kicks. I immediately loved it. I got a sample vial to try during the week to see how I like it. I still love it, but the more I smell it, the more I realize it smells very familiar. Just tonight I realized what it smells like...Ralph Lauren Romance, which I used back in college. I looked up the fragrance notes in Romance and compared them to English Pear and Freesia, and they do share many similarities in their components. If you've never smelled Romance, try it and I bet you will also notice the similarity.

Charlestongirl said...

I'm so glad you like it! I got my bottle the minute it arrived at Saks, and I have been spraying with abandon for the last few weeks. It's a very special fragrance.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, and as for Romance, I will do a comparison test tonight. That's really interesting!