Tuesday, July 27, 2010

MOROCCANOIL Luminous Hair Spray

I'm always searching for the ultimate hair spray - the one that does it all, has it all - and more. I've read so many good things about MOROCCANOIL products, so I sprang for their Luminous Hair Spray (I paid $15.95) at my local beauty supply store.

MOROCCANOIL is a media and celebrity darling. The salon products - all based on argan oil - contain powerful antioxidants and UV protectors. MOROCCANOIL's proprietary argan oil blend is rich in vitamins and natural elements that fortify the hair, including vitamin F (Omega 6), vitamin A to improve elasticity, vitamin E to protect against free-radicals, and phenols to shield against environmental stressors. The company deserves its fabulous reputation.

When I saw the Luminous Hair Spray, I wanted to try it. I was enticed by weightless, but strong, flexible hold; enhanced shine; and manageable, residue-free, and brushable hair. The can promised luminous and unique shine (credited to the argan oil) and a reflective shield to guard against humidity and frizz. Then a store employee told me that it was highly scented. I put it back on the shelf. The urge to try it was too strong, though. I went back, hoping they would have a tester. They didn't. I would like to have sprayed just a tiny amount to test it, but the store is too small. I had no opportunity. Darn!

I can report that the store employee was correct. It is highly scented. It's a nice scent, but it competes with my perfume - and it stays in my hair all day. I smell like baby powder - clean, fresh, pleasant baby powder. The hair spray itself is extremely nice. It held my style all day without any tacky feeling in my hair, and it added a bit of shine. Unfortunately, I can't get past the fragrance. I really wanted Luminous Hair Spray to be the be-all, end-all-searching hair spray for me. It isn't.

If you don't mind having your hair smell like baby powder all day, you may love it. Everything else about it is nice, including the fact that the company does not use ingredients from animals, and they do no animal testing.

You can purchase MOROCCANOIL products are salons (locator at this link), Amazon, and other online sources.

Photo courtesy of MOROCCANOIL

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this hair spray and I don't care for the smell either. I can't say that baby powder scent came to mind but, it is really strong and the scent lasts and lasts. Along with that, my hair seemed to get really dirty really fast. I love, love MoroccanOil products but, this just isn't one of them.

Charlestongirl said...

Kind of a shame, isn't it? They didn't have to put so much fragrance in it.

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

Thanks for the warning. It would drive me nuts!

Unknown said...

thats pretty much why i avoid most hair sprays altogether- the scent is too much

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Marcia and Anna!

I just don't get it. I need to use hair spray. Why do these companies make it so hard? Do the ingredients smell so bad that they have to mask them? I'm going to set out to get an answer to that question!

On the Glam said...

I've had the same stinky problem with hairspray (that and insane stickiness). I have to say, I really like Garnier's Volumizing Anti-Humidity Hair Spray. It is scented, but it's not overpowering and it offers a nice flexible hold, not a crunchy, tacky feel.

I'm not a huge hairspray person, but I spritz this on after blowdrying to keep everything relatively flyaway-free

Anonymous said...

My wife just started using this and it absolutely wreaks in the bathroom and house for hours and hours after she sprays it. I try not to get too close and try and stay downwind. That stink gives me an instant headache. Why do companies have to put that powdery smelling odor in everything. What it's covering up must be ransid!