Saturday, July 3, 2010

Weekend Rant - Sex and Nudity

Are you tired of sex, nudity, and exhibitionism? It's everywhere - in advertising, fashion pages, entertainment, politics, and everywhere else. You'd think people in the United States were obsessed with sex. Are we really no more sophisticated than a randy bunch of male teenagers?

The new Gucci Guilty advertisement? Sex. The pages of W, Vogue, and other popular fashion magazines? Nudity (not fashion). I want look at clothing, not naked women. I can buy Playboy if that's my thing. The red carpet? The girls have become a bit too exposed. Clearly, Hollywood Fashion Tape can't hold on to a dress bulging with silicone or saline. I got so tired of Dolce & Gabbana's tasteless advertisements, I stopped buying their clothing. And I like my leopard print, silk-lined suit jackets. Even politics is now impregnated with sex bombs, as the indiscretions of political leaders have become big money and front-page news. Can you even imagine meeting a presidential candidate and the first thing out of your mouth is, "You're hot"?

Since when did it become OK to run to the mall wearing little more than a bra from the waist up? Why do parents let their young girls go to school looking like street-walking tramps? Are we shocked by nothing? Have sex and nudity become the norm? No wonder other cultures regard us with disdain.

I've had it with sex - and I don't mean what you think. I'm tired of the relentless pressure on women, especially young women. The message is, "You need to look sexy to look beautiful." Grace Kelly was beautiful. Women wanted to look like her; men wanted her. She didn't project sex - she projected "gorgeous." The mind can make the leap without help! Do they think we're all stupid?

Did Madonna start this trend? No, she's just a wickedly savvy entertainer who recognized a good thing and used it to her advantage. Same with Lady Gaga, who continues the exhibitionism for the latest generation of wannabes. Apparently, sex sells.

The next time you read a women's magazine, take note of the advertisements and editorial pages that scream sex. If I had a daughter, I wouldn't want her to think that her value to the world - and attractiveness - is inextricably linked to sex.

I think it's time for a sea change. What do you think? Have I gone round the bend?

Photos courtesy of Maybelline, Dolce & Gabbana, and Madonna, only a few I could have selected for this rant

6 comments:

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

All I can say is you are sooooo
right, I have had enough.

Eileen said...

Bravo! Well said. When I see ads like the one you selected as your example, I cringe. What does fashion have to de with a pic of a potential gang rape where a lone woman is so obviously going to become a victim? Fashionable? No. Objectionable? Yes. The message seems to be if you are beautiful and dress provocatively, you'll have a bunch of hot studs taking a number to have a go at you. The ad also implies that it is the woman's fault. She's just so alluring that men can't help themselves. What a load of . . .

Clarisse said...

Oh yes, I'm tired of it all and I think there are many of us tired of those adverts and fed up too with the brands which are behind! I am weary of their obvious despise of women and very angry at women who play the game...
I think the message is: I need you to think you need to be sexy to be lovely so that I make big money when you buy what I am offering you...Obviously there is no kind loving look on women, rather a sort of hatred (for those designers women can't be represented without looking like sluts)
I think boycotting those brands could be a way of showing them we are human and we have good brains too.
For me those brands represent the contrary of true elegance and style, they just speak of sex and money: definitely bad taste!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Marjorie, Eileen, and Clarisse! I kind of went off the rails with this post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to see a change.

so said...

Unfortunately sex sells. It's popularity well never go out of style as long as we support it. The fashion industry had models look like heroine addicts not too long ago. I've noticed that the models look so bony.It used to be men like women with curves. How many young girls and older women feel bad about themselves when they see what "we're all suppose to look like". I agree with all of you. How can we make a difference? I've been looking for a dress to wear to an evening wedding. They are are all so low cut and short with low quality fabric. I don't want to go wearing anything I've seen so far. I'll be hanging out the top or not able to sit down all evening. I'm looking for elegant and graceful. what's happened? God help us all.

Resham said...

You are 200% correct...I could never put these thoughts in words as fine as you have done...
It really bothers me when I see teenagers wearing weird clothes to school...My mind says..its distracting...How can kids concentrate in studies!