Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why You Need a Green-Toned Eyeliner

You need at least one green or green-toned eyeliner! I don't mean grass green, blue-green, or even glittering green, although those are nice and trendy. I mean a subtle green - a green-tinged black or khaki.

You can't wear black eyeliner every day! You're reading a beauty blog; you must be interested in makeup. Here's a great way to try something different and jazz up your look without rocking the boat.

Just about every woman can find a green-toned eyeliner that suits her, with the wide range of shades available. The effects will vary, depending on skin tone and eye color, but these liners are always softer than deep black shades.

Three of my favorite "green" pencil eyeliners are listed as shown, top to bottom in my arm photo. I applied the two lighter shades in two "passes" so that you could see the colors adequately, and the photo was taken in sunshine.

  • Shiseido Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil in Black Sand (BK904), a greenish black with just a hint of gold
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Stash
  • Dior eyeliner pencil in Iridescent Khaki
Everyone needs at least one of these - or a similar shade. These greens are easy to wear. They will expand your eye makeup options for day and night. If you've never tried green, you may be surprised at how flattering it is!

Shiseido's Black Sand Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil ($20) is the "safest" for anyone who fears green. It's really a deep charcoal/soft black shade with a green tint and just a hint of gold. Black Sand was introduced with the Ocean Collection this summer, and it was an instant hit.

Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils ($17) are available in a dizzying array of 24 shades. Stash is one of my all-time favorites. Urban Decay describes it as a dark green/gold, and you can see the golden tone in the photo.

Dior Crayon Eyeliner ($28) in Iridescent Khaki has even more gold in it. A pure khaki green, it's the lightest of the three. It looks fabulous on blonds!

All three of these pencils are soft and glide easily onto the lids - no tugging required. Their quality is superior. The Shiseido and Dior liners have a sponge "smudger" on one end of the pencil. I prefer a thin and more defined line very close to my lash line. I use eye shadow to create a diffuse look. The option is yours, though!

All three of these liners are budge-proof. Once you apply them, they will last all day and into the next day of you don't remove every last trace. After I applied them to my arm, I couldn't wipe or wash them off. I had to use Bobbi Brown's Instant Long-Wear Makeup Remover to get them off. They won't fail you - even on the worst weather days.

The next time you're browsing the beauty department, give green a try! If you always wear black, find out what you've been missing.

Top photo courtesy of Shiseido

3 comments:

solanace said...

I loved reding this post, since I love makeup but don't know what to buy beside the basics! Pllllease, write more posts like this one CG!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Solance,

Thanks! I will try. As you can see, I posted this one in 2010, and it took three years to get a comment. :)

solanace said...

C'est vrai. But still... I'm getting a green eyeliner, or maybe Armani Eyes to Kill in pantelleria.