Friday, August 20, 2010

The Friday Forum - August 20

Hosta Plantaginea, "Royal Standard," a fragrant hosta I planted next to my porch many years ago, is divine. I sit on the screened-in porch in August and inhale the sweet, floral scent. Someone should package it! I love having white flowers in my garden this time of year. They are so cooling and look fabulous at dusk when they light up the garden.

Enough about the garden - let's turn to beauty. For those of you who are new to The Friday Forum, the purpose has always been to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game! Just want to chat? Use the comments. Don't be shy! We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. Some are "really slow." No matter, I'm happy if even one reader stops by.

This week, I had a major blogger dilemma over the spelling of the "smokey eye." Using the "e" in "smokey" seems like a natural to me, but some in the industry use "smoky" in their product names and descriptions. That sounds like "smocky" to me. You guessed it: I'm a Virgo. We get obsessed over little details (and we are horribly embarrassed every time we forget to spell check our features).

I will share the best beauty bits (noteworthy sales and special offers) with you over the weekend. I'll put them in the comments.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway contest for the fabulous Tarte Femme Natural Eye Shadow Palette. The deadline is tomorrow night, August 21, at midnight.

Thanks for reading Best Things in Beauty! Got anything you want to talk about?

Photo from my garden

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Friday! I'm 100% with you on the smokey -- that feels the most natural for me. This week was a fairly uneventful beauty week, but still a good one! I'm loving Lorac's new Evening Out -- and I've been using some new skincare products. I'm in desperate need of a new eye cream though - any recs? I'm disenchanted with the usuals.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Laurie, happy weekend to you too! I am currently loving Perricone's Cold Plasma Eye. It made an immediate difference when I started using it. Sometimes, I have to add an eye cream over it. I usually grab Striking Skin's eye cream with peptides or Kinerase Under Eye Rescue - both of which are fine used alone for must people.

We just picked up your nail color review for this week's roundup for tomorrow. Nice shades!

Charlestongirl said...

This is a riot, friends! Head over to British Beauty Blogger: http://www.britishbeautyblogger.com/2010/08/what-beauty-brands-didnt-know-before.html

Eileen said...

Smokey v. Smoky? How about smokie or smoki or smokee or smokeh or . . . Oh heck! I plan on sticking with smokey. :-)

I've played around a bit more with my new Estee Lauder eye shadows. Tom Pecheaux has done absolute wonders with that brand. I didn't care much for the two palettes that were introduced. The color selection was too bright for me and didn't seem particularly interesting, but the collection of singles is just out-of-this-world. As I said in a previous comment, the depth of color, texture, ease of blending, and wear time make the new singles a real standout.

I called the local Nordstrom and they're expecting Bobbi Brown's Black Velvet collection next week. The SA was more than a little enthusiastic about it, so I can hardly wait.

Have a great weekend!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the recommedations -- I've been hearing a lot of good things about Cold Plasma lately.

I am going to head to Nordstrom after work today to shop around. It's been way too long (at least 10 days!)and I'm hoping Black Velvet is in!

Thanks for picking up the nail post! We're working on our round-up too and your Bobbi Brown Black Velvet is a must-read:) I hope your sales folks at Neiman and Nordstrom know how great you are at spreading the word early.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, I didn't like the palettes either - not my cup of tea. I'm sure they will look fab on someone, just not me. :)

Thanks, Laurie. Was away from computer all afternoon and didn't carry my iPad with me. I hope your Nordies had the colors!!

MarciaF (Beauty Info Zone) said...

I never know if it's smokey or smoky but I tend to go with the E. And then there's gray and grey - which to use?

Charlestongirl said...

Another good dilemma, Marcia! I have always liked "grey," and Armani uses it, but my spell checker wants "gray"! I seem to use them interchangeably on the blog.

Charlestongirl said...

My authoritative BB sources tell me it's "smoky" in the industry! People Style Watch this month? "Smoky"!

Tara said...

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. What is the difference between eyeshadow primer and base? I use primers but does a base do something different? And can you recommend a good one? Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tara,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I went to a Clue party last night (it's rare for me to go out - I'm a homebody).

A primer and base may or may not be the same product. Technically, a primer gets your skin ready to "accept" the other products you will apply, whether they are skin care or color. A base, often with color, prepares the lid for color by neutralizing variations in skin shade and giving you a nice blank canvas on which to paint your look.

Some products serve both purposes. Yesterday, I learned that Bobbi Brown's eye creams and moisturizers all serve as primers, doing double duty. They have no color, though. If I need to take out the redness over my eyes, I need to use a "base" color, which can be a light or skin-toned eye shadow from lashes to brows. If I were using Bobbi's eye shadow, I would use Bone or Ivory for my skin tone. Once that base is applied, the other colors I apply look "true." Make sure to use a matte shade as a base unless you want to look glitzy.

I use a primer on my eyelids that has both effects.

Does this help?

Tara said...

Thanks for clarifying. I'll be experimenting to see the difference between the two.