Friday, May 20, 2011

The Friday Forum - May 21

Kousa dogwoods are special. They beam in the late May/early June garden (in Zone 7). Beyond their blooming beauty, the fruit is a wildlife favorite when it ripens in the fall. Those green fruits you see in the center of the flower bracts expand into red berries that the birds and squirrels consider an annual feast. As soon as they ripen, my tree is a magnet for wildlife. I always consider providing food for animals when I select plants. Why not help wildlife while beautifying the garden?

You know I'm going to talk about the American Idol semifinals. My favorite of the final three - the one with the most mature singing voice - was sent home.

This is the first year I've watched American Idol. I started when I was homebound, but I don't think I can stand another year. The ad minutes rival the show minutes, and the filler content is often unbearable. Last night, that little trick...the results after the commercial break...beyond annoying! Do they think we sit and watch those ads? I get things done - exciting things like scooping the cat litter. Anyhow, I'll save three hours next week. I don't need to see the country music finale, especially since it seems preordained that one-note country boy Scotty will win. He sends the young girls into hysteria - and obviously endless texting to vote. The real music critics have already made clear their disdain for the voters' choices.

Watching Twitter last night was more interesting than the show. When Il Volo came on to sing "O Sole Mio," Idol "fans" started tweeting things like, "I thought this was American Idol. Who are those Italians?" Was that zenophobic? Another repeated tweet was, "I don't understand Italian." I couldn't believe what I was reading, but it was a fascinating window on the "thinking" of some segment of the show's fan/voting base - a culture with which I can't connect.

I hope my favorites all end up with recording contracts and music careers. I loved Pia, Haley, Jacob, Casey, and even Paul. I went to sleep after Idol silently singing Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets," and I awakened this morning hearing that song. Haley has staying power - hope to hear her sultry, raspy voice many times in the future! Last night, I retweeted Menox Music, a Billboard Reviewer, who tweeted, "Haley Reinhart is this season's Siobhan Magnus/Chris Daughtry/Jennifer Hudson/David Archuleta/Adam Lambert." She's a star.

I did like Lauren's leg look Wednesday night after a stylist applied a bronzing tint to her legs. It was flattering. Why didn't someone think of that earlier? I've been impressed with the makeup on the gals for weeks. Whoever is applying their eye makeup deserves some recognition. Have you been watching the makeup along with me?

Even worse than the news of Haley's elimination was the news that next week, we are going to have to wait through two hours American Idol to see the Glee season finale. I resent network tricks to drive ratings. That stunt early in the season when they made me stay up through the Super Bowl to see Glee was unacceptably manipulative. It's incredibly hard for me to stay up late when I get up at 4:30 am every morning. I was looking forward to next Tuesday with Glee. Now, it will be Wednesday, with recorded Glee. It's not the same.

Can you even believe it's time for The Friday Forum? We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

Don't forget that I have a giveaway contest going for a KORRES Lip Collection! The deadline is tomorrow, Saturday, May 21, at midnight. Make sure to enter before then. If you don't enter, you can't win!

What did you discover this week that grabbed your eyes or made you want to sniff your arm? Is there anything you've been waiting for me to feature? I spend too much and have plenty to tell you, but I always consider suggestions.

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

anibananie said...

Have you heard anything about the KeratinPerfect/30-Day Smoothing System at Sephora? I've wanted to try a Brazilian blowout, but couldn't afford it...and this system is under $100 and has enough product for at least two months! Good reviews so far on Sephora...

Also - have you tried or heard anything about the UltraFlesh masacara? Looks very interesting!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow...Anibananie...you have me there. I haven't tried either. Anyone?

I do plan to try the Ultraflesh mascara. It was their first product launched at Sephora.

Charlestongirl said...

From a "real" critic today (CBS)...thought you might enjoy...

Reinhart's face was a picture of unadulterated, unedited, unmitigated anger. She couldn't believe it. She couldn't believe that "American Idol" represented such a limited view not only of idolatry, but of America.

It looked as if, had she been in possession of a long, sharp object, she would have happily used to it skewer those she felt to be responsible. She recovered her composure a few seconds later in order to deliver the appropriate platitudes.

However, she also managed to deliver a rendition of "Benny and the Jets" that was far too adult, far too sophisticated, far too contemporary for a show that has come to represent little more than the rump of American music.

The final will be between two teens - Alaina and McCreery. The former is a genuinely talented - and genuine - singer. The latter is a one-boy boy band who will likely contribute little or nothing to the annals of music.

Eileen said...

I picked up Armani's Mediterranean eye quad today and am thrilled with it. When I first saw pictures of the quad, I was thunderstruck by its burnished beauty, but then when I saw Sabrina's comparison swatches to Chanel's Spices, I began to think that perhaps they were too similar to warrant having both. I need not have worried, though. I stopped by the Armani counter today and, as soon as I swatched the colors, I knew they were significantly different in intensity and vibrancy and that the new quad was definitely coming home with me. Once home, I dug out my Spices and used that for one eye and used the Armani for the other. On my light skin, there was a significant difference. Spices produced a soft and natural look suitable for the office. The Armani was bolder and more bronzed and spoke to me of sultry summer nights. Both quads are super soft, finely milled, and a dream to blend. So, which do I prefer? I'd have to say the Armani. The richer colors do more to enhance my dark moss green eyes. Next to the Armani, Spices seemed a bit boring. So, I put my Spices back in the "not in current rotation" drawer knowing that Armani's Mediterranean quad was going to be my super star this summer.

I hope you all enjoy a weekend filled with beauty and sunshine :-)

Hopelessly Devoted To Makeup said...

Edward Bess' Storm eye shadow arrived today and it just may be my holy grail eye shadow, I am so pleased with it. This one eye shadow makes me want more! Oh no!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

I love that quad. Bought two so far. Simply put, Armani knows how to make makeup that may look like everything else in the pan, but always works wonders on my face.

I missed a Tim and Rhona event yesterday. Now that Loyd is at the Chanel counter at Saks, no one "invited" me. I leaned it was yesterday by reading a freelancing artist friend's tweet that she was there! I need to talk to the store's AE to let her know that those Armani gals are throwing money away. :) I'm always good for a purchase, and I need a new Luminous Silk #2.

It's so nice that you can be that organized. I hope to start a reorganization of my makeup over Memorial Day weekend. It will make me feel good.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hopelessly Devoted!

Can you believe I just bought my second Storm? The first one has cracked into pieces (large pieces and still entirely usable). I dropped it on the ceramic tile floor. Actually, I think Charlie knocked it off the bathroom counter. I wanted to have a second in case the first one gets too hard to use. I can't be without that shade. It is divine!

Eileen said...

Hi ladies,

Isn't Storm gorgeous? (rhetorical question!) I love the ever so subtle flicker of blue in this translucent gray--like lightning in a rain cloud. And, as Gaia likes to point out, his colors manage to look great with so many different skin and eye colors. One of the many great things about EB is that he takes his time to get a color just right. He isn't pressured into rolling out new seasonal collections and mini collections. Perfection is the name of his game and he's got it mastered.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I think I would "kill" to have an EB counter in the DC area.