Sunday, October 20, 2013

October is National Eczema Awareness Month - Think AVEENO

Not saved for Breast Cancer Awareness only, October is National Eczema Awareness Month too. According to Dr. Kenneth Beer, a board-certified dermatologist and dermapathologist, a voluntary Assistant Professor at the University of Miami, and a consulting associate in the Department of Medicine at Duke University, eczema is an immune reaction that targets the skin. This chronic skin disorder is produced by inflammation that causes the skin to become itchy, red, and dry - even cracked and leathery. Eczema can be triggered by stress, heat, and sweat; sudden changes in temperature; extreme cold/dry climates; heredity; a nd airborne/food allergens or irritants. Atopic dermatitis is the most common type of eczema, and the two terms are often used interchangeably. Left untreated, eczema can have an enormously negative impact on overall health, well-being, quality of life, and restful sleep.

I had eczema at one point in my life, and I hated it. According to the National Eczema Association, eczema is very common and affects more than 32 million people. As a result, most dermatologists see eczema patients frequently. Mine did.

Treating eczema for babies, children, and adults requires a combination of preventive and therapeutic efforts. Dr. Beer recommends hydrating cleansers and barrier creams with soothing ingredients, like colloidal oatmeal (found in AVEENO Eczema Therapy and AVEENO Baby Eczema Therapy products). He says to use them daily to maintain the integrity of the skin's barrier. Look for products with ceramides - essential lipids found naturally within the skin - that play a key role in enhancing and restoring the skin’s protective function.

When I had eczema, I tried all kinds of remedies - prescription and non-prescription - and those that worked the best included AVEENO products. That's why I'm proud to be an AVEENO Ambassador. AVEENO, a pioneer in the study of natural ingredients, has harnessed the naturally soothing power of the Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal to develop the AVEENO Eczema Therapy Collection. This eczema-soothing collection uses the best ingredients in nature to care for your eczema and help break the cycle of irritated skin.

Colloidal Oatmeal effectively relieves the itch associated with minor skin irritations like eczema. The AVEENO Eczema Therapy Collection has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance for providing gentle, superior ingredients to soothe skin with eczema.

There are two collections, and I have used them both. The AVEENO Eczema Therapy and AVEENO Baby Eczema Therapy Collections are available at AVEENO.com and at national food, drug, and mass merchandisers.

AVEENO Eczema Therapy Bath Treatment was my all-time favorite. I still use it, and the eczema is long gone. It's an extremely soothing bath.
  • Formulated with Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal, a long recognized ingredient to relieve itching and soothe and moisturize skin
  • Disperses in your bathwater to treat itchy, dry, or irritated skin
  • Unlike some sprays and creams, this soothing treatment also gently cleanses and moisturizes for soft, smooth, and healthy looking skin
  • Steroid-Free, Fragrance-free
  • Dermatologist recommended
AVEENO's Moisturing Cream takes over after you step out of your treatment bath.  With Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal, humectants, and ceramide, this fragrance-free moisturizer will keep your skin from itching.

You can also find corresponding products for use on your baby's irritated skin. Check out all of AVEENO's Eczema Therapy products at this link. Then go to your nearest drugstore to get rid of the itch. Remember, eczema is treatable. It won't plague you forever if you take good care of your skin.

Photos courtesy of AVEENO

11 comments:

Christina said...

I suffer eczema also and they are annoying! I do use Aveeno, also La Roche Pose. Great products :)

Charlestongirl said...

Christina, that part of my life was miserable. My skin always itched. I was red. I peeled.

I starting using a combination of AVEENO for overall skin care and Atopalm for face care, and I got better. I could have skipped the dermatologist.

Eileen said...

I had a brief bout with eczema several years back and Aveeno and Atoplam cream were my life savers--Aveeno to sooth and calm the itching and Atopalm to protect and heal the skin. Great combination!

grlnxdor said...

I love Aveeno products. I especially like the cream with the oatmeal and menthol. It seems like every winter I get an insanely dry, itchy area a few inches above my ankle on the shin bone--probably because my sock top ends there. This cream helps heal and protect it.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I have used everything under the sun for my eczema, which came on after a bout with thyroid problems that are now under control. However, the eczema has been a lasting problem for me. I have to layer, layer, layer my moisturizers. Argan body oil right out of the shower, followed by a good body cream, not lotion, by Aveeno. And then reapply before bedtime!

Claire said...

I didn't know about October as eczema awareness month. Another eczema sufferer here.. I did use Aveeno colloidal oatmeal, good product! Will look into this Aveeno range as other Aveeno products are scented/fragranced.

Charlestongirl said...

Claire, most AVEENO products are fragrance-free. Clearly, the body lotions with a scent in the name will have one. More often than not, they are not fragranced. Yet another reason I love them!

Hummingbird5 said...

My mother has psoriasis. I wonder if these products could help her. I think I'll get them for her. Thank you, CG.

Melanie said...

October is my month all around! Eczema and Aveeno have both been a part of my vernacular for as long as I can remember. It is the only lotion that I can use.

@Hummingbird5: I have also had psoriasis and Aveeno was one of the few products that I could use.

Unknown said...

I only used Aveeno body lotion. I prefer unscented lotions and deodorants. The Aveeno lotion is very soothing. Thankfully I've never had eczema, but my nephew does. He uses Aveeno also.

Anonymous said...

I am experiencing eczema before and tried many products but ended up with this one eczemafreetips.com. I aslo used aveeno. Finally, I can say that I am free from Eczema. Go natural.

It's been months now and no sign of eczema even if I am expose to extreme cold weather conditions now. Excellent combination!