Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tom Ford Beauty Eye Primer Duo

Tom Ford's unique, new Eye Primer Duo ($45) is a powder and cream primer that enhances the performance of eye shadow by preventing creasing and extending wear for up to 15 hours. The cream primer, which you apply first, features the Tom Ford infusing complex, which helps create a smooth look, while the oil-absorbing powder that you apply over the cream ensures superb color definition. Does it work? Yes, but what you want from an eye primer will determine whether you love it or not.

First, I will tell you that it works really well. I apply the cream in the bottom part of the flip-top jar with a touch-up brush intended for creams - the same brush I use to apply concealer. I apply the powder with a camouflage brush, only because it allows a tidy application without any flying powder near my eyes.

The cream is almost colorless when applied. I can see that it's there, but it doesn't effectively conceal the redness I have above the crease. It does even out my skin tone, partially concealing the redness, but it doesn't significantly improve my own coloring. The powder is white-ish when applied. The color isn't ghastly, as it might sound. It sets the cream and adds a touch of brightness to the eye area. That's nice.

I apply my color above the two layers, and the color adheres perfectly. It also stays put all day. Given that, I would declare Tom Ford's Eye Primer Duo a success. However, it is not a concealer. The eye primer I've been using, Edward Bess Illuminating Eyeshadow Base, which costs $30, does what the Tom Ford primer does with one step, and it conceals the redness in my eyes.

Those who have no need for a concealer in their primer will adore the Tom Ford eye primer. It is extremely nice (texture, wear, all the things we associate with Tom Ford Beauty) - and it's effective. Those who want their primer to conceal will want to save a few dollars and try the Edward Bess product. I must note, based on a recent comment, that the Edward Bess primer should not be applied from its own wand. That will apply too much product. Put a drop from the wand on your palm, and pick up the product with a cream shadow or touch-up brush for application.

Tom Ford's Eye Primer Duo was released with the fall collection, and it is available at all Tom Ford Counters. I purchased mine from Dustin Lujan at the John Barrett Salon in New York City. Right now, John Barrett is offering free shipping. You can reach Dustin there at (212) 872-2714.

Photo at top courtesy of Bergdorf Goodman

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the idea of it being a duo, with a cream AND powder primer. Glad to hear it works nicely too! x

Eileen said...

I have dry lids and absolutely adore this product! I much prefer it to the Kanebo Sensai that I've used for years and years although I'd still recommend KS as a much less expensive option. If you don't mind the cost, though, the TF is the way to go. I don't need any kind of concealer on my lids and so the transparency of the product is not an issue for me. In fact, I prefer that, but I do realize that is a matter of personal taste and need. What I want from an eye primer is a smooth, even, satiny finish and find that TF's primer delivers all that along with a subtle brightening effect that is actually quite pretty all on its own. I use my fingertip to spread a thin layer over my lids and a Hakuhodo squirrel hair highlighter brush (über soft) to sweep on a light and even veil of the setting powder. Two thin, weightless layers serve to enhance shadow color, facilitate blending, and hold the shadows in place for hours. Yes, I really like this product.

There are so many wonderful eye primers out there that it is just a matter of finding one that suits the condition of your lids, appeals to your esthetic sense, and meets your needs vis-à-vis longevity. For my mature, dry lids, TF's primer is a joy to use.

Charlestongirl said...

Totally agree, Eileen. I really like The TF primer. It's effective. It just doesn't give me a totally blank canvass. So by covering the red over my crease with EB, I don't need shadow there.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Samantha,

Yes - it's nice.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely, positively live this product! I have thrown out all my other primers!

Zazie said...

Thank you for your informative review, as always!
I love your blog,though this might be my first comment!
I have a few questions concerning the TF primer: do the cream and powder also work separately? I really dislike the idea of adding an extra layer of powder on my eyes...
I think the EB is more suited to my needs, but the TF has the advanatge of being sold a) in my country and b) close to home!
I wish you a great day!!!!

angusmum1 said...

Silly, all I could think of was my grandmother baking with me and stressing how to grease then flour the cake pan!! Anyway I am hoping to try the Edward Bess primer soon. I haven't checked but does Sephora Canada carry it does anyone know where it is sold in Ontario, Canada at all?

angusmum1 said...

Is the EB that you use in a pen format with 3 shades to choose from illuminating primer its called?

Eileen said...

Hi Zazie,

You could use the cream portion of this alone, but then why would you spend the money to buy a duo type of product and then not use it in a way that gives you the ultimate in performance? Using the über fine powder helps create a highly effective, long lasting, two-tiered barrier between your lid and your shadow. It also brightens the area so that colors are true to pan. Properly applied, this combination is not in the least bit cakey or powdery. I use my fingertip to apply a very thin veil of the cream all over my lids. I then sweep my soft brush once over the powder and then once over my lid and then repeat for the other lid. That's it! It's effective without being in the least bit heavy. You shouldn't be kicking up a dust storm when applying this. TF's primer is an excellent example of less is more. As for using the powder alone, no, that wouldn't work. It's designed to adhere to the cream which is the very heart of the product. The powder is so finely milled, though, that you really won't experience it as an extra layer.

The most common mistake people make when applying primer is that they use way too much and that is what contributes to the heavy feel. To be blunt, that is a result of poor application technique and really has nothing to do with using a one-step or two-step product. If using a two-step product like TF just seems to be too much trouble, though, there are loads of one-step primers from which to choose--EB, Smashbox, NARS are pretty universal. Dry lids will benefit from Kanebo Sensai or By Terry. Oily lids will get along with UD or Two Faced. The list just goes on and on. Good luck!

Hi Angusmum,

You are so funny! You make me want to bust out my baking pans and bake a cake :-) Yes, the EB is the pen that comes in three shades.