Friday, February 26, 2016

The Friday Forum Plus an Event with Dr. Gregory Bays Brown from RéVive Skin Care

Today, Neiman Marcus at Tysons Galleria had an event with one of my favorite people: Dr. Greg Brown from RéVive Skin Care. It was hopping in there. Customers had appointments to spend 15 minutes with Dr. Brown, who helped them with any concerns they expressed about their skin. Everyone wanted a consultation - so much so that women who didn't realize it was a "by appointment" event would just jump in and take the chair next to him the moment another customer got up. His sparkling reputation preceded him.

The young lady with him was a customer who was willing to have her photo taken with Dr. Brown. I was glad to see a young women who was so interested in skin care.

To recap prior posts here at Best Things in Beauty, after years as a successful plastic surgeon, Dr. Brown started a research laboratory dedicated to increasing the healing rates of burn victims' wounds. Though his clinical research, he discovered a unique bioengineered protein molecule (Epidermal Growth Factor or EGF) that accelerated burn healing. When the molecule was added to the patient's wound-care treatment, healing was accelerated.

What does this have to do with skin care? As we age, cell division slows. As it slows, we develop signs of aging, including wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, sagging skin, and a loss of radiance. The development of wrinkles is actually similar to an injury to the skin. Dr. Brown found that if he could kick-start cells to turn over more rapidly than they would normally, he could postpone the inevitable signs of aging and give the skin a much-needed boost. He started to experiment with the molecule that had helped burn patients so markedly, dissolving it into Elizabeth Arden's Visible Difference. The results were amazingly effective. He found that his "cream" allowed him to regenerate the skin in a way he couldn't with a scalpel. A face lift can lift the skin, but it won't make it glow. RéVive will make you glow.

RéVive Skin Care has had a remarkable history, and now there are many products - all fabulous - to address every skin-care issue. Today, he and I talked briefly about his new sunscreen. He said, "It's not sexy, but I think it's exciting." Soleil Superiéur Broad Spectrum SPF 50 PA ++++ ($115) is powered by RES Technology and an advanced UV Defense System. This luxuriously lightweight sunscreen is ultra-transparent and gives you superb in-sun protection while helping repair visible signs of aging. That's why it's so cool - it's not only a sunscreen, but it will also repair your skin. You can see the ingredients at the link above.

The advanced UV Defense System helps:
  • Fight signs of early skin aging with broad spectrum SPF 50 protection;
  • Visibly smooth out lines and wrinkles caused by environmental aggressors; and
  • Improve the skin’s firmness and elasticity. 
Dr. Brown says, “The most important anti-aging product that anyone can use is a sunscreen." From concept to inception, Soleil Superiéur took five years to perfect. This product is endorsed by the Skin Cancer Foundation. It has been granted a Seal of Approval for daily use, a sign of the product - and the brand’s - commitment to developing effective sun protection.

I want this sunscreen! It's on my list for my first paycheck at my new job. I love the idea that I can repair my skin while protecting it. I also learned today that RéVive has a new volumizing mask coming out in April. I can't wait.

It's time for The Friday Forum. The Friday Forum has always been an opportunity to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game. Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I hope you are ready to share, especially since it's still Beauty Event at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Photo at top by Best Things in Beauty; Soleil Superiéur photo courtesy of RéVive

18 comments:

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I've always admired the European appreciation for skincare. Of course, makeup is the fun sister, but it only looks good if it's worn over good skin. In the "new to me" skin care arena, I got a great deal on Sunday Riley's "Good Genes" and I'm loving the way I wake up with skin as smooth as glass. I really want to try some of her other products.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the great eye primer recommendations the other day! :-)

Laura said...

I had no idea that was going on, and I was in there today!

Trying to cool it a bit after buying the entire new Chanel line. Playing with a few new Louboutin nail polishes and some color correctors as of late.

Anahita said...

Congrats on the new job. I just finished using deluxe samples of La Mer's lifting mask and renewal oil. I loved both of them. I was never impressed with LA Mer before but I really liked these 2 items. I just placed an order at Nordstrom for their trend show. I also just picked up La Prairie's new cream blush. I wish La Prairie would release more color cosmetics.

Sandra said...

I have to have that sunscreen as well, and am saving up for it! I do have a question for your readers: Has anyone with older, dryer skin, found an undereye cream that actually 'depuffs?" I know they say plastic surgery is the real answer, but I do not want to go that route. I have tried many high-end products and have always been disappointed. I'm thinking with all the advances made in this field, someone has found a product for this problem they love, and I would like to know about it! Thank you, CC and readers.

Charlestongirl said...

Sandra, if the puffiness under your eyes is fat, nothing but surgery will get rid of it. I asked Dr. Brown today about fluid. He recommends Frownies!

I have good friends who insisted their puffiness was fluid. I kept telling them it was fat that had settled with age. I wasn't real popular. Once they had the fat under their eyes cut out, they thanked me for being realistic. It's easy and fairly inexpensive surgery. The results can take years off your face.

If you want to try an eye cream for puffiness, try one with caffeine in it. The caffeine can act like a diuretic.

You should wear an eye cream to prevent fine lines. That said, Dr. Brown has some great volumizing serums that will plump up hollow areas and reduce the appearance of fat pockets.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Anahita! That oil is wonderful!

Charlestongirl said...

It was really crowded in there today, Laura. He was the attraction.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi MamaVal,

I haven't tried that yet. I'd like to now that I know someone who likes it.

Sandra said...

Charleston Girl, I know you are right, and thank you for the reality check! I have looked into cosmetic surgery, but I live in Vermont where I am one of the few women at my age who still color their hair and wear makeup, even to,go to the grocery store and when I am just gardening! Surgery of any type here is very scary! But I will check out NYC as I have family in NJ and can stay with them if need be. One of the reasons I love your posts is that we have no high-end stores here where I can go to see first-hand what is new with the great brands. You and your readers give me an insight to the world I used to live in and really miss! The horrid Macy's in Burlngton does not even have a Chanel counter! So I rely on you and your readers heavily! Thank you, Charleston Girl!

Charlestongirl said...

Sandy, I can recommend a reconstructive opthamologic surgeon in DC. I'm sure there has to be someone just as good in NYC.

Sorry about my blunt answer. It's just unrealistic to expect a cream to melt fat. I've read about a procedure in which fillers are used to plump the skin around the fat, evening out the under-eye area. I don't get it. That costs more than lower lid surgery and isn't permanent.

Sandra said...

Blunt is most often the best way to get a "truth" out there, and I apprciate it, especially coming from you, Charleston Girll! Thank you for caring nough about your readers to tell it like it is! I think we all appreciate it!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job! That is exciting.
I love the new Chanel Coco lip product. They are an ideal combination of color and shine.
Tanja

Sandra said...

If you are interested in surgery make sure that the puffyness will not come back.

My new love is Hourglass Edit Palette. It think it's still available at Barney's in Beverly Hills. I use it with thier primer and it's all I need. I've never gotten so many complments on my natural makeup.

PS. I'm a defintintly a woman of a certain age.

Eileen said...

Congratulations on the new job, Charlestongirl. I hope it will prove to be interesting as well as financially fruitful :-). You have so much experience and insight to offer. Your new employer is lucky to have you.

I bought the new Chanel stylo in Message. It's a lovely color, deeper than what I'd want once spring has arrived, but beautiful for now. I've read a lot of people asking if it's like the stylos by Dior and Clé de Peau. It isn't. Except for the stylo format, it is quite different. The case itself is thicker and the lipstick is more pigmented, lasts longer, and leaves more stain on the lips after the shine is gone. In short, it performs more like an emollient lipstick rather than like the soft, balmy stylos we're accustomed to. I apply it straight from the bullet and then use a brush to sharpen the lip line and smooth it out. Old lips = wrinkly lips! LOL Just be very careful you don't twist the bullet up too much. The lipstick is very soft and is easily mashed. I noticed at the counter that some of them looked the worse for wear, but I haven't had any problems with mine because I twist it up just enough to have contact with my lips without my lips touching the applicator. I'm not so sure how these will hold up, though, when the heat of summer is fully upon us. For now, though, it is a lovely product in keeping with the swing back towards glossier lips.

Sunscreen! There are so many excellent chemical options like ReVive's, but it is really tough to find a physical sunscreen with an SPF of 40 or higher that is cosmetically elegant, transparent, and non-drying. The only sunscreen I've found that ticks all the boxes for me and that I can wear every single day without problem is TIZO 2 (SPF 47). The 2 indicates it is untinted but there is a tinted version, too, for medium and darker skin tones. Even the majority of sunscreens that are marketed as being for sensitive skin actually rely on chemical sun screening agents :-( Oh well. At least I have TIZO.

It's a bit windy today, but otherwise it is beautiful here in LA. Hopefully, it will be much the same for the Academy Awards tomorrow night.
Have a restful weekend everyone.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

We all are different. Some BTiB readers can't wear physical blocks. I prefer the chemical ones because they go under my makeup more smoothly. I'm glad there's something for everyone. We all need to wear it.

I adore the long-lasting formula of the new Chanel Stylo Lipshine.

Jill said...

Congratulations on your new job CG!!

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!! Thank you for all your great posts! I'm in LA but purchased skincare from Michael with le metier because of your blog. He's very knowledgable. I know you've featured skincare from le metier in the past...is that still what you mainly use or do you mostly use revive? I'm in my early thirties and in love with skincare....I know you love skincare too and would love your reccomendations. By the way you are such a respectable blogger and one of few I truly trust

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, thanks for your kind comment on Michael. He is wonderful!

I use a little if this and a little of that. I'm a terrible role model because I'm always testing something new. I do use a lot of LMdB skin care. I couldn't live without the eye cream and moisturizer (pink cream). I put the eye cream over the RéVive volumizing eye serum. I get both products every day. :) BTW, LMdB is taking the pink out of those two products. They will be white.

Even though it's pricey, LMdB is less expensive than some of its luxury competitors. I like the patented retinol delivery system. It's the only retinol I can wear. I use the night cream about twice a week. That's all they recommend for skin like mine.